Thursday, January 22, 2015

living in cities



Cities offer so much: the personality of a place, the diversity of cultures and ways of being, the exchange of ideas. At the same time, when I spend too much time in human-made environments I feel like I’m living in my head. My view becomes narrow. Wildness seems distant. Natural processes begin to seem controllable, contained.

It may well be a remedy to reconnect with nature. It’s worth a try. While there are breathtaking places all over the world, I can also find them right here. I can slow down and pay attention. I have received some of the most lasting (and non-material) gifts this way. 


beach at White's Point, San Pedro, CA

1 comment:

  1. Yes , my friend. Nature has an endless treasured ripe for picking if we can only claim them..
    Thanks for the gift of awakening me to these gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest in the Walden Here project.